This fall, congregations are invited to celebrate our connections and common mission in Christ’s global church in conjunction with World Day of Prayer for Peace (Sept. 21), World Communion Sunday (Oct. 6) or Lutheran World Federation Sunday (Oct. 27). Here are some ways to get started:
- Pick a day to observe Global Church Sunday and announce it in your church bulletin and newsletter.
- Plan a global church inspired worship service. Find worship resources at www.ELCA.org/worship.
- Share inspiring stories from the global church with your congregation by downloading Hand in Hand bulletin inserts at www.ELCA.org/handinhand or ordering multiple free Hand in Hand newsletters at www.ELCA.org/GlobalMission-Resources.
- Host a global church-themed coffee hour, complete with themed placemats and other resources available online at www.ELCA.org/GlobalMission-Resources.
- Invite a missionary or Young Adult in Global Mission volunteer that you support to write a special note to the congregation or arrange for a Skype visit or short video greeting.
- Know former missionaries or Young Adults in Global Mission volunteers? Invite them to tell their stories in church.
- Take a special offering to support ELCA Missionaries, Young Adults in Global Mission, International Leaders or Global Ministries. Learn more by calling 800-638-3522, ext.2657, or emailing email@example.com.
Send pictures and stories from your congregation’s celebration to firstname.lastname@example.org and you may be featured on the ELCA page on Facebook or on LivingLutheran.com.
For church communicators
Please use this information in your publicity for Global Church Sunday.
- The ELCA belongs to The Lutheran World Federation, a global communion of more than 70 million Lutherans in 79 countries.
- Over 240 ELCA missionaries work hand in hand with our neighbors in 40+ countries. Assignments range from a few months to eight years or more.
- In the last 25 years, 800 International Leaders have received scholarships to complete their studies at colleges, universities and seminaries in the United States and around the world.
- There are more than 60 Young Adults in Global Mission volunteers serving in nine countries this year. As they share their gifts of service, they also learn and grow from their host communities.
- Every year we respond to requests from companion churches for financial support to expand their Global Ministries — to start new congregations, extend outreach in urban areas and train pastors and evangelists.
Please use these photos in your publicity for Global Church Sunday. For higher resolution photos, please contact email@example.com.
Global Church Sunday is sponsored by the ELCA Global Church Sponsorship program, which gives congregations and individuals the opportunity to support a complete range of ELCA ministries, including Missionaries, Young Adults in Global Mission, International Leaders and Global Ministries. Learn more at www.ELCA.org/globalchurch.
on August 15th, 2013 at 1:23 am
Concern for our dwindling numbers at home has pretty much derailed our interest in Global Mission. I think it’s time to engage actively and gather inspiration and wisdom from our global sisters and brothers. We have much to celebrate and much to learn.