Directors for Evangelical Mission:
RESERVE YOUR SPOT
United States – Mexico Border Experience
February 18, 2020
Travel Day: February 17
Reservations are due by November 15, 2019
The Congregational Vitality Team is reaching out to Directors for Evangelical Mission and their mission partners with a special opportunity to worship together on the beach at the United States – Mexico border.
The Spanish word for “border” is frontera. As we think about the borders in our lives — country, state, neighborhood, even our churches — why not think about these “borders” as FRONTIERS to explore? How can we grow and learn together, as Christ’s people in mission? How can we explore the frontiers of our faith and reach out to all people in love and service, united in the Good News of Jesus Christ?
This experience will take place the day before the Congregational Vitality Training Event in San Diego in February 2020.
This one-day opportunity on February 18 is also open to people who will not be attending the CV Training Event.
RESERVE YOUR SPOT FOR THE BORDER EXPERIENCE BY NOVEMBER 15, 2019.
To plan a successful event, the CV Team needs to know whether you and your ministry partners are interested in this unique and meaningful experience.
- Space is limited. Once 200 spots are reserved and registered for the Mexico side, all others will be assigned to the US side (which will still be an awesome experience!)
- All reservations must be received no later than November 15, 2019. Registration and payment will follow.
- Once registration opens, we will contact you directly with the registration link. You will have two weeks to register and pay. After that time, we will need to open registration to others (first-come, first-served).
To reserve your spot(s): click this link to complete the Reservation Form
- Select your registration choice.
- Select Mexico side or United States side for your worship experience.
- Indicate your name and synod.
- List who will be joining you. This is a COMMITMENT, so please be sure of whom you are bringing when you complete the Reservation Form.
NOTE: We need your commitment by November 15. YOU WILL OFFICIALLY REGISTER AND PAY LATER (after November 15).
Please check your calendars and reach out, ASAP, to those you think would be interested!
REGISTRATION OPTIONS (per person)*
$50 — Includes Registration and Bus Fees
$150 — Includes Registration, Bus, and Double-Occupancy Hotel Room for Monday night, February 17.
$250 – Includes Registration, Bus, and Single-Occupancy Hotel Room for Monday night, February 17.
*Fees may vary slightly.
- One-half of our group will cross the border to the Mexico side to participate, and one-half of the group will participate on the US side.
- Join in a cross-border worship experience on the beach.
- Travel by bus to an immigrant-hospitality center on the Mexico side of the border OR to one or two historic Latinx churches on the US side of the border.
- We will arrange an opportunity to connect and process our experiences after the event.
- Testimonies from this experience will be shared at the Congregational Vitality Training Event, which begins, Wednesday, February 19.
** Exact details may vary. We will keep you posted!
What You Should Bring:
- A valid (blue) US passport that will not expire for at least 6 months from February 18, 2020. Please see the very important legal notes below.
- A sack lunch or money to purchase lunch.
- Snacks, such as snack bars and fruit.
- Comfortable shoes, and please dress for the weather and for walking on a beach.
- Sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Travel light, as you will be walking.
Important Participation Notes:
- All participants must be present at the Town and Country Hotel, San Diego, and ready to travel to the border at 8:00 am, Tuesday, February 18. This may mean you will need a hotel room on Monday, February 17.
- Participants must be able to walk for up to 30 minutes to and from the worship destination (beach).
Legal and Safety Considerations to Help You Plan
- All participants MUST submit the following to our team and to a designated alternate person: emergency contact information including name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address in case of a participant’s ill health, detainment, death or other circumstances.
- All participants who plan to enter Mexico MUST have a valid US (blue) passport that will not expire for at least 6 months after February 18, 2020.
- All participants who plan to enter into Mexico MUST make a copy of their passport and give it to a family member or other designee.
- All participants who plan to enter into Mexico MUST sign an ELCA waiver (available at registration).
Additional Important Notes:
- No participant is to allowed to drive a vehicle into Mexico. We have been advised that driving into Mexico without proper Mexican auto insurance a very serious violation of Mexican law that is strictly enforced by Mexican authorities.
- Please check the following US State Department sites for risk information concerning Mexico: