We are excited to announce that the 2023 ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grant application cycle is now open!
Hunger Education and Networking Grants are one of the ways ELCA World Hunger accompanies congregations, synods, organizations, partners and local teams throughout the US and the Caribbean. We know that learning about the root causes of hunger and effective responses is key to ending hunger locally and globally.
We will be accepting proposals from March 15, 2023 through November 15, 2023. Grant applications are accepted and reviewed throughout the year. Please allow 6-8 weeks for review of your application. Grants average between $1000 and $3000 and are non-renewable.
ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grants support work that:
- educates and engages ELCA congregations, groups, and/or synods;
- fosters the development and education of leaders and participants;
- builds relationships locally, regionally and nationally; and
- equips ELCA members and neighbors to work toward a just world where all are fed.
ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grants are designed for projects that provide educational opportunities to deepen participants’ understanding of poverty and hunger (including root causes and intersectional issues) and equip participants to work toward effective solutions.
Projects involving direct service within communities are only eligible if the service happens within a program for service learning. If your project involves direct service, ELCA World Hunger’s Domestic Hunger Grants may be more appropriate for your needs.
Previous grantees have included:
- synod-wide bike rides to promote hunger awareness;
- service learning events for youth and young adults;
- online and in-person workshops;
- community organizing training;
- creation of new resources to help participants learn about hunger; and
- local research projects to help others learn more about hunger, health, and housing in their community.
The work of grantees in the past has focused on a wide variety of areas, including climate change and sustainability, housing security, racial justice, worker justice, reducing food waste and economic justice.
To be eligible for an ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grant, proposals must be:
- received through the ELCA’s online Grantmaker portal from March 15 to November 15, 2023;
- submitted by a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization;
- focused on education, engagement, and networking toward a just world where all are fed; and
- consistent with ELCA World Hunger’s values and priorities (https://elca.org/domestichungergrants).
In addition, eligible projects must occur within the geographic footprint of the ELCA, which includes the United States and the Caribbean.
How to Apply
Applicants must pre-register on ELCA GrantMaker in order to access the grant application. Approval of registration may take up to ten business days, so register now at ELCA.org/grants, and submit your application by November 15th.
For more information see the full request for proposal here: 2023 ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grant Announcement
If you have any questions, please email Ryan Cumming, program director for hunger education, at Ryan.Cumming@elca.org or email@example.com