Situation: As of Mar. 23, over 3.5 million people are estimated to have left Ukraine, most of which are women and children. The refugees are primarily fleeing to Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Moldova. According to UNHCR, another 2 million people are displaced within Ukraine.
Response: Lutheran Disaster Response has committed over $2 million to companion churches and ecumenical partners that are accompanying refugees and other impacted by the conflict in Ukraine. These include:
- German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ukraine
- Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Poland
- Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Slovakia
- Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Romania
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hungary
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Romania
- RGDTS-Phiren Amenca
- Lutheran World Federation
- ACT Alliance
Be a part of the response:
Please pray for people who have been impacted by the crisis in Ukraine and Eastern Europe. May God’s healing presence give them peace and hope in their time of need.
Thanks to generous donations, Lutheran Disaster Response is able to respond quickly and effectively to disasters around the globe. Your gifts to Lutheran Disaster Response (Eastern Europe Crisis Response) will be used in full (100%) to assist those impacted by the war in Ukraine.
To learn more about the situation and the ELCA’s response: