Congregational Vitality Training Event: August 21-23, 2019
Held at Christ Lutheran Church, Baltimore, Maryland
TRAVEL & LOGISTICS – BALTIMORE CV TRAINING EVENT
TRAINING EVENT LOCATION
Christ Lutheran Church
701 S. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21230-3800
410-752-7179 | www.christinnerharbor.org
Lord Baltimore Hotel
20 W. Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21201
410-539-8400 | www.lordbaltimorehotel.com
TIMING OF EVENTS
Please see “Timeline of Events” for a detailed schedule and arrival dates.
TRAVEL PLANNING & WEATHER
- Fly in and out of Baltimore – Washington International Airport (BWI).
- Friday evening flights home are expected and strongly encouraged so that no hotel rooms are used Friday night.
- Local transportation is “on your own”: You must arrange for your own transportation to and from the airport.
- Dress for the weather – Baltimore can be hot and humid in August. Bring light layers and rain protection.
- SUPER SHUTTLE DISCOUNT: For your convenience, you can use the CV Training Event Super Shuttle discount link to book your transportation from BWI airport to the hotel (or church), and from the church to BWI airport, with a cost of about $13.50 each way. Contact your DEM for this link, which was e-mailed out to all DEMS on the ELCA DEM listserv on June 3, 2019. IMPORTANT: Please book your Super Shuttle as two one-way trips, to arrange pickup directly from Christ Lutheran Church after the event ends on Friday. Note that the link does not allow two different pickup locations in a single round-trip reservation. You can adjust your reservations by reentering the link.
- LIGHT RAIL: Taking the train (Light Rail) is a very affordable option for traveling from BWI airport to the Lord Baltimore Hotel. Download the Charm Pass app to buy fares for a day, a series of days or for the week (one-way fare is $1.90): https://www.mta.maryland.gov/charmpass. According to the Lord Baltimore Hotel website, the BWI Marshall Light Rail Station is located immediately outside the Lower Level of the terminal building, adjacent to Concourse E. Take the train north toward Hunt Valley. Exit the train at “University Center – Baltimore Street” stop. Walk three blocks to the east (right) on Baltimore Street. Lord Baltimore Hotel is on the north side of the street, at 20 W. Baltimore St. Approximate travel time is 40 minutes.
- WALKING CAN BE A GOOD OPTION: Christ Lutheran Church is a little more than one-half mile from the hotel (approx. 15-minute walk at average pace). Feel free to stretch your legs and walk, if you wish.
- CHARTER BUS: Lord Baltimore Hotel will provide charter bus service between the hotel and church throughout the week, at no cost to you. Please consult the Bus Schedule for pickup and drop-off times per day. All other transportation will be at your own expense (e.g., taxi, Uber, Lyft, Light Rail, rental car).
- PARKING AT CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH: A reduced Early Bird special rate of $9 (Monday – Friday, in by 9:30 am / out by 7:00 pm) is available at the Arrow Parking Lot at 11 E. Lee St., Baltimore, MD This fee supports local and international missions of Christ Lutheran Church.
DIRECTIONS & DISTANCES
- The Lord Baltimore Hotel is in downtown Baltimore at the corner of Baltimore and Charles Streets, just across the street from the Charles Center subway station. The hotel is one block from Royal Farms Arena and a short walk from the Baltimore Convention Center, the Inner Harbor, Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium.
- The hotel is 12 miles (25-35 minute drive) from Baltimore – Washington International Airport. Visit this link for maps and detailed directions from the airport to the hotel via taxi and Light Rail (only costs $1.60!), and information on how to rent a car: https://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com/contact
- Christ Lutheran Church is approximately 12 miles from Baltimore – Washington International Airport. Travel by car takes 30-40 minutes: https://www.christinnerharbor.org/location-directions
IMPORTANT HOTEL NOTES
- Hotel arrival and departure: Check-in time is 4:00 pm / Check-out time is 11:00 am. You will need to bring your luggage with you to the church on the last day of training (Friday), and arrange to travel directly to the airport after the close of the event. One charter bus will bring participants back to the hotel, if anyone is approved by the CV team to stay over on Friday evening.
- Rooms Are Double-Occupancy: Housing is double-occupancy. Participants will be assigned a roommate if one is not specified on the online registration form. A limited number of single rooms will be available for an upgrade fee on the registration form. Please do not bring nonparticipating spouses, or children, along with you.
- Parking at Lord Baltimore: Valet parking is available at the hotel for $33 per night plus tax. Self-Parking is available at the official garage of the Lord Baltimore, at 213 West Fayette St., two blocks from the hotel. Overnight rates are $25, inclusive of tax per night.
- Meals (lunches and snacks) at the church have been selected based on your arrival and departure times.
- Food sensitivities and allergies will be accounted for to the best of our abilities, based on what participants entered into the online registration form.
- A catered breakfast is included (free) at the Lord Baltimore Hotel each morning before departing for training.
- Lunch and coffee breaks/refreshments are included at the church throughout the Congregational Vitality Training Event and the pre-events.
- Dinner is “on your own” (not included). Gather with your colleagues and head out to explore beautiful Baltimore!
- Baltimore is loaded with history and culture. If you are looking for things to do in the evening after training, check out these links or do your own Internet search: https://www.visitmaryland.org/places-to-go/baltimore and https://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com/things-to-do
- One suggestion: Organize a group to attend an Orioles baseball game! The Orioles will take on the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday evening, August 21, and the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday evening, August 22. Both games begin at 7:05 pm. View the schedule and order tickets: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/schedule/2019-08. Learn more about the Orioles: https://www.mlb.com/orioles. Or: Join the CV Team in our special block of seats for the Thursday evening game. Here’s how: Use this special link to purchase your $12 ticket ($1.20 service fee) for a mobile ticket to sit with the ELCA group. Any problems, contact Rob James, at 815-721-0079.
Join the CV Team and other colleagues for a “CV Social,” Wednesday, 8:30-10:00 pm in the LB Skybar at the Lord Baltimore Hotel! This open-air bar is situated on the hotel’s 19th floor rooftop and offers “stunning views of the surrounding skyline,” with “hand-crafted cocktails and a full menu of light bites.” We’ll provide appetizers, you purchase your own beverages!
- Read up on the historic Lord Baltimore Hotel (https://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com), which also features a tavern, bakery café and rooftop open-air bar on premises: https://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com/dining-and-entertainment
CONTENT/TRAINING QUESTIONS? Contact Anna-Kari Johnson at 773-990-0814, Rob James at 773-380-2999 or 815-721-0079, or Ruben Duran at 630-440-8591; or, the contact person listed in the Course Overview & Registration Links document.
SEE YOU IN BALTIMORE!
by Kris A. Mainellis, program director for communication and events