ELCA Malaria Campaign
Make Malaria History
It’s almost the end of October, which means that Thanksgiving (and even Christmas!) decorations are starting to fill up the stores. In the church, we are looking toward the end of our liturgical year, and the beginning of the next liturgical year– otherwise known as Advent, the season of holy anticipation. The popular Thanksgiving season and the liturgical season of Advent are wonderful times to reflect on our blessings, and to share those blessings with others.
Jessica’s Top Ten Reasons to support the ELCA Malaria Campaign in 2013:
10. “Now Simon’s mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked him about her. Then he stood over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her.” (Luke 4:38-39) Jesus teaches us to rebuke the fever!
9. “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.” (1 Cor. 12:12) Members of the body of Christ are suffering from malaria — and so we must all respond together.
8. Lutherans in Africa have been serving the whole person– body, mind and spirit– for decades. The malaria programming is new, but the good health care system and strong reputation of African Lutheran churches are already deeply rooted. People in these rural communities are willing to learn from trusted Lutheran voices.
7. We make it easy to give! You have lots of options. You could send a check ( to P.O. Box 71764, Chicago, IL 60694-1764). You could call us up (800-638-3522). You could give online. You could give through the Good Gifts catalog. You could become a Monthly Partner!
6. Timing matters. Our overall ELCA Malaria Campaign goal is $15 million. Along the way, we have annual goals, which are benchmarks that help us keep the money flowing consistently to the programs in Africa. 2013 is an important year! Several programs are in full swing, and several more are ramping up. Your year-end gift to the ELCA Malaria Campaign helps us to meet our 2013 annual goal of $5 million.
5. The ELCA Malaria Campaign uses your gift very efficiently. We’re a very lean program. Our overhead costs (fundraising and administration) are only 10%, which means that 90% of your gift goes to our companions and partners in Africa to fund their malaria programming.
4. Malaria disproportionately affects young children and pregnant women. A year-end gift to the ELCA Malaria Campaign is a wonderful way to honor a special woman or child in your life.
2. The programming that we support through the ELCA Malaria Campaign is making an impact. Three years ago, a child died of malaria every 30 seconds. Through the work of Lutherans and many others across the globe, that death rate has slowed by half. We’re making a difference!
1. Malaria is preventable and treatable! Through the good work of our Lutheran sisters and brothers in Africa, your gift will change lives.